GMC has announced a series of updates to the 2016 Sierra HD.
Starting with the exterior, all models gain standard HID headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights. The model also offers a remote locking tailgate and several new colors including Crimson Red Tintcoat, Cardinal Red, Deep Garnet Metallic and Mahogany Metallic.
The cabin largely carries over but customers can order a new wireless smartphone charger. The truck also boasts upgraded IntelliLink infotainment systems with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability.
The 2016 Sierra HD also offers a new Active Steering Assist system as well as a newly optional Gooseneck/5th Wheel Trailering Prep Package. The latter will be available on Duramax-powered models beginning early next year and it includes a “frame-mounted hitch platform and tray that accommodates a gooseneck ball hitch or fifth-wheel hitch mounting brackets.”
Last but not least, the trucks’ trailering ratings have been aligned with SAE J2807 standards and their maximum capacities are:
- 2500HD conventional trailering rating of 14,500 pounds (6,577 kg)
- 2500HD fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering rating of 18,000 pounds (8,165 kg)
- 3500HD single-rear-wheel conventional trailering rating of 15,000 pounds (6,804 kg)
- 3500HD single-rear-wheel fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering rating of 17,500 pounds (7,938 kg)
- 3500HD dual-rear-wheel conventional trailering rating of 20,000 pounds (9,072 kg)
- 3500HD dual-rear-wheel fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering rating of 23,200 pounds (10,523 kg)